Friday, November 2, 2007

I can't believe I'm doing this...

Ok, I can't believe I am going to go back to the discussion of Faces of the Enemy. But, I feel that I have to. I realized today that dehumanizing the enemy does not have to be for war or violence. it can be with anyone. I thought of this, because earlier today I was trapped on the elevator with my boyfriend's ex. I was very nervous about this. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate silence, especially awkward silence, so I did what I usually do, and started talking. it was a imple, rather pointless conversation, but I realized that she is not as horrible as I had convinced myself she was. This has lead me to a theory on how to stop dehumanizing large groups of people. We each need to stop the little dehumanizing that we do in our personal lives. If none of us are doing it on a small scale, how could all of us collectively do it together on a large scale.

Now, I swear that we are done with our discussion of military ethics....

2 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Since you were so accepting of my inability to let the topic go, I forgive you!

Jaclyn Ford said...

oh nikki...haha expect to do the unexpected sometimes.