Monday, December 10, 2007

In Order For it to Be Science, It Needs to Be Falsifiable

The idea that a theory has to be able to be falsified in or der to be science amuses me. Originally, I didn't understand- I didn't understand how it could be science it would have to be false. but, that is not what they are trying to say. What thiss all means is that there has to be a way to test the theory to see if it is false. If there is no way to possibly try to prove it wrong then it cannot be science.

With the definition out of the way, we can now consider how religious people twist this around. Lately, they have been trying to find scientific evidence to prove various religious things are true. the thing is, they are twisting facts around, and that is how they are able to "prove" things. I realize that I am generalizing, but throughout the whole conversation on the topic, all I could think aboout was one thing. My father once talked with someone who was convinced that the dinosaur bones were put here to test our faith. All that this is doing, is taking science and saying that it is stupid and does not really exist.

No comments: