Thursday, May 8, 2008

Give Up Now, Homosexuality Is Not Going To Disappear

I was just looking over this site that has various banned book lists. The list for the top challenged/banned books for 2006 had explanations as to why. Quite often the reasons were because it dealt with homosexuality. I understand not wanting a 4-year old to read a picture book about it----it could confuse them. But, when it is novels for tweens and teens I think it is ridiculous. They are old enough to decide for themselves whether or not they want to read about it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And, it is wrong, I feel, for a library or a school to not have a book because the main characters are homosexual. I don't really know where I am going with this....I am just frustrated that people are against books because they deal with homosexuality...

2006 list:
“And Tango Makes Three” by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell, for homosexuality, anti-family, and unsuited to age group;
“Gossip Girls” series by Cecily Von Ziegesar for homosexuality, sexual content, drugs, unsuited to age group, and offensive language;
“Alice” series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor for sexual content and offensive language;
“The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things” by Carolyn Mackler for sexual content, anti-family, offensive language, and unsuited to age group;
“The Bluest Eye” by Toni Morrison for sexual content, offensive language, and unsuited to age group;
“Scary Stories” series by Alvin Schwartz for occult/Satanism, unsuited to age group, violence, and insensitivity;
“Athletic Shorts” by Chris Crutcher for homosexuality and offensive language;
“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky for homosexuality, sexually explicit, offensive language, and unsuited to age group;
“Beloved” by Toni Morrison for offensive language, sexual content, and unsuited to age group; and
“The Chocolate War” by Robert Cormier for sexual content, offensive language, and violence.

Site Link:
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.cfm

1 comment:

the Albino Bowler said...

I've been following your blog and figured I'd say hello.
Among other things, we share an interest in Australia. I think you could relate to the kangaroo rodeo I've been working on.

Matt

P.S. What is your favorite thing about Australia?