Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rethinking My Opinion On the Death Penalty

After watching Faces of the Enemy, I have changed my views on the death penalty.

You're probably thinking: Wait....wasn't that about war?

It was, but it also did a case study on murderer, David Lee Rice. He had gotten informatiton from somewhere that a family of four were communists. From what I understand, he had intended only to get information out of them, but in a panic brutally murdered them. He thought that he was a soldier in the US army, fighting the communists in our country. He was sadly delusional, and I do not think that he knew exactly what was going on. I think that putting him to death would not be a good idea. Keeping him in an institution for life would be better.

I feel that people that are that delusional should just be put into criminal mental institutions. I am not saying though that every person who claims insanity for reason of murder should go there though. there are many people who will claim temporary insanity. This is just a way for them to get out of being sentenced. I think that people who genuinely are delusional should get help.

I really would like to know what happened to Rice after his interview on the movie. I have been trying to search for information but cannot find any. If any of my classmates can find anything, please post it for me.

No comments: