Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ignorance and Evil

I totally agree with Katherine (I think that is her name...) that ignorance is no excuse when it comes to being evil. I do feel though, that her accusations that the author was evil were a bit out of control.

But, that is not the topic of this entry.

The topic is that just because you are not outright doing something evil, does not mean that you are in the clear. If you witness a great wrong and do nothing about it (even if it is tell someone after the fact) you are doing evil. Evil is probably too strong a word, but I cannot think of a better word-so, evil will have to do.

Anyways,

What I am trying to say is that ignorance of something is no excuse for wrongdoing...

BUT!

What if your idea of right and wrong differs from mine? I just thought of this....What happens when someone does something considered right by their belief system, but it is wrong by someone else's? We all feel that our beliefs are right. How do we decide what is universally right?

1 comment:

Aaron Under Construction said...

We're not omniescient. we cannot see everything. Humans do not have a great track record when it comes to seeing all the consequences of their actions before they act - but no one can know perfectly the consequences of their actions. perfect knowledge is beyond us - so a perfect decision of what is universally right is beyond us as well. That's my guess - and it's why the notion that judgment and vengeance is G-d's responsibility alone is so powerful, and appealing to many, myself included. We - at best - can guess at what is right and wrong. that fruit that got us kicked out of Eden - we didn't digest it all that well, and we certainly have never finished internalizing it. and the struggle to do so is at the core of so many amazing stories - at the core, perhaps, of much of humanity's exciting history.

It seems your question is - what do we do when our belief systems - our mores, our values - conflict? Well - conflict happens. Sometimes it's resolved through violence or compassion - or sometimes it's not resolved. but it makes for great drama. A grand story.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in, I know you've already read my thoughts - but perhaps more of your peers will speak their minds on this issue now :-].