Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The World Exists Independent of Us

Is there a world that exists free of our perception?? This is harder to answer than I thought that it would be. This is because no matter what I say, it has to do with something that someone percieves. I still stand by the fact that there has to be. But first, I must make it clear that I am automatically discounting the Cartesian idea that we can only be sure of our own existence. We must assume that others do exist independent of us.

Ok, now that we've got that all cleared up...

I look at the existence of a world independent of perception the same way that I look at religion. You have to take in everyone's point of view and sift through for the commonality. My favorite example in terms of religion is that there are three religions that feel that the area now known as Isreal is their holy land. This commonality means that that is the holy land. There are other examples too, and to me, it is these commonalities that are the closest things to truths.

Every person has a different perception of the world. There are, though, commonalities between everyone's perception, and those commonalities must be what exists independent of us. Right?

3 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Commonalities in our perceptions of the world are simply one indicator, or test, of truth.

Nikki said...

I know, it was just what I feel is the most obvious.

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I mean to ditinguish "tests" of truth from its very nature, which I take to be a correspondence relation (see my post "My Take on RC).