Thursday, April 3, 2008

A bit of a rambling rant....

This may be slightly off topic, but it is, at the very least based on something that Johnson said in class: He said that Barney, everyone's favorite dinosaur brought up a messed up generation. (Well, not in those words.....I am paraphrasing.)

All of the Barney follower were brought up being told that it is right to have our own opinions and that we are all special. This gives unrealistic views about individuality and self-righteousness. Someone said that having the right does not mean that you are right. And far too many people don't get this. They think that because they have the right to think hat they want that they are automatically right in their thinking.

But back to what I was going to say:
Barney saying that everyone is special reminds me of the No Child Left Behind stuff and the way that so many high schools will push students foreword even if they are not up to the level etc. And it all made me think of a quote from a children's movie that got it right. Dash in The Incredibles said: "I everyone is special then no one is special."

There is no truer statement. Being special is being unique and different. if everyone is that, then how can anyone be that?

Anyways, Nikki is done rambling for the time being.

2 comments:

Katie Collins said...

Barney tried to teach everyone acceptance, which I guess is at the root of all this.

But it is true that just because you have the right to think one way that you are not necessarily right in that thinking. As obscure as that may be to the general public, it is something that I wish everyone could grasp.

Nikki said...

I agree that the root of it all was a good intention, but in the end I am not sure that it worked.

And, I agree that people need to grasp that, and it is refreshing to see that others feel the same.

Nikki