Monday, April 21, 2008

Music?

"My boyfriend is bang, the boom, the beat
He's beatin' down the door to get to me
Yeah music is the shock, the shake, the shit
The needle in the groove, the grind, the grit
My boyfriend is music"
-Skye Sweetnam

I have not yet read the article on music, but I figured that I would give some preliminary thoughts.

I feel that music is 100% objective. Every culture has different music, and withing a culture there are different genres. I know o many people who would say that rap is not music. I know just as many who say that opera is merely noise. There does not appear to be any set of standards making something music or not.

I included the song quote because I like the way that she defines it. "the bang, the boom the beat" etc. Also part of her interpretation is that music is something that makes her feel good. To other people music is close to godly. There are also some that think that music should be only about God. There are some who say that modern music is not music.

Am I making my point? There are a million ways to define music, and there are so many forms of music that have nothing to do with the rest. I think that it is merely a collection o sounds that are pleasing to an individual, and that it is completely subjective.

No comments: