Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lobsters and Serial Killers...

OK it is well known that I work at a grocery store and that I am extremely allergic to seafood. This means lobsters. I hate them. I am afraid of them, I see them and I think about how I will break out in hives if I touch them. I was carefully avoiding touching one one day as the customer buying it was babbling about her son's birthday.

"Wow, that's an expensive birthday dinner for a kid," I said.

"Oh, and he plays with it before he eats it. It's a birthday tradition," she said with a laugh.

Whoa, rewind!

First off, thee way that lobsters are cooked is cruel. Second of all, he plays with it before he eats it. That's just sick!

I went out for hot cocoa with a friend yesterday and I was telling him this story. His reaction was: "That kid is going to grow up to be a serial killer."

This is kind of hypocritical. The kid does something that none of the rest of us would do: he looks his dinner in the eye and then kills it. I don't think that any of the rest of us would have the guts to do this.

I still think that it is sick to play with your food...it is cruel to make it think you are going to love it and then plunge it into boiling water....

But, I don't know of many people can look their dinner in they eye before killing it.

6 comments:

Katherine L. Stine said...

You have very good points and it is a good story. I think a way to view it is the discussion in class today about children's views of animals and giving them human characteristics. This child may very well grow up to be a serial killer, but we cannot be sure if the child makes the connection to what he is playing with and what he is eating as being the same lobster. either way, very strange tradition... and preparing lobsters is cruel. i did hear somewhere that they lack the nerves for pain, and this doesn't excuse it, but ties into the class today talking about focusing on the act of killing versus suffering.

Nikki said...

I wrote it in response to our class discussion....I thought of it when we were talking about not eating your friends.

And I don't care if they don't suffer, it is sick to put something alive in boiling water.

Katherine L. Stine said...

i agree, i know where your point was coming from :-)

Leanne said...

i agree with your thoughts though i have never given it much thought as i personally don't like lobster so i don't pay that much attention to prep when those around me eat it. however i agree that it's not exactly a nice way to kill somthing and that any playing with them before cooking is strange. "don't play with your food" should in a case like this apply to before comsumption too.

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Fish also die very unpleasant deaths -- by the 100's of millions each year -- at our hands: they are simply left to suffocate when removed from the water.

What if fish could scream?

amanda said...

how exactly do they kill lobster? do they put it in the boiling water while its still alive? thats awful!